Monday, January 19, 2015

Gender Inclusive Game Design by Sheri Graner Ray

   
     As a relatively new participant in the world of video game design, I have not been subject to the history of the industry's gender inequality problem. There are things I have noticed as a video game player through my years. When I was growing up not many females played video games. It was just thought of as an activity that girls did not have interest in. Later I would find out that some girls did play games, but only a few games appealed to them. Games that were rich in story, had some sort of fantasy element, and weren't overtly violent (Crash Bandicoot, Cool Boarders, Final Fantasy, etc.). Other games like BMX XXX, DOA Beach Volleyball, and Duke Nukem didn't exactly invite women to come play games.
     What I have noticed more recently is that more females are in fact playing video games. My little sister can't stop playing The Sims, my girlfriend plays 2048 and various logic puzzles to no end, even my mother calls me up when she is stuck on Bejeweled! More women are buying video game consoles, couples are gaming together, and the recent boom in mobile games is making it easier for everyone to play games. DID I MENTION THAT MY MOTHER IS GAMING?! All of this inclusiveness in recent years has me excited for the future of the video game industry. Games will get better and will become more accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment