Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Repo! The Genetic Opera

     I am not very familiar with rock operas (other than the occasional Meatloaf song), but I decided to give Repo! The Genetic Opera a try. The film had potential but it favored gore and fan service too much for my taste. I enjoyed the art style along with the music. The setting felt very dark with comic book-like exaggeration, similar to Tim Burton's Batman. The music was pretty good as well. I did not enjoy the extreme gore and oversexualization. It was not uncommon for a character to be sliced open then roll around in puddles of their own blood. The point of these extremely graphic scenes may have been to shock the viewer, but I think they may have taken things a step or two too far. I could say the same thing for the costume design. The idea probably was to portray a future where individuals are so consumed in themselves that they will do anything to maintain their beauty and youth, hence the premise of a company growing profitable by up-selling organ transplants with breast implants and other physical enhancement procedures. I wanted to like this movie, but guts and gore for the sake of guts and gore is not my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment